The college has five academic buildings, a library with approximately 60,000 books, auditorium and other facilities. The sports ground of the college is commonly known with its famous name Parade Ground. Chittagong college was first established as Chittagong Zila School in 1836. It was upgraded as a college in 1869 by offering F.A. (First Arts) course and took its present name Chittagong College. This college has two faculties, they are:
• Faculty of Arts & social science: The Faculty of Arts & social science comprises of following departments- Department of Bengali, Department of English, Department of Economics, Department of Political Science, Department of History, Department of Islamic History and Culture, Department of Philosophy, Department of Sociology, and Department of Arabic Studies.
• Faculty of Science: This faculty comprises the following departments- Department of Physics, Department of Chemistry, Department of Botany, Department of Zoology, Department of Statistics, Department of Mathematics, Department of Geography, and Department of Psychology.
Government Art College, Chittagong offers great infrastructure with latest facilities. Chittagong College has one of the oldest libraries in Bangladesh. There are more than 60,000 books on different subjects. Additionally each department has their own seminar library for Honours and Masters Students. There is a medium sized Botanical Garden inside college campus.
This garden is maintained by Department of Botany. There are three male and one female student dormitories. The college organizes many cultural and extracurricular activities for students. The college has head quarters of Karnaphuly battalion-2 of Bangladesh National Cadet Corp from 1956. The college campus consists of common rooms, canteen, Auditorium, Gymnasium, Post-office, and banking facility.